Rules & Regulations
Rules and Regulations
The Sunny South Soccer Inter League follows FIFA Laws of the Game. All league rules are governed by the Alberta Soccer Association rules unless otherwise stated.
All players, coaching staff, assisting personnel and team supporters are expected to obey the laws of the game and respect all members of the SSDSA Executive, Board of Directors and Officials.
Foul or abusive language towards players, coaches, referees, and volunteers will not be tolerated.
The team is responsible for the behavior of its players, coaches, and spectators.
- All players must be properly registered to a team for the current season to be eligible to participate in any games during the season.
- A player may only be registered to one team for the duration of the season.
- Players maybe allowed to register for an older age group/division but will not be allowed to register to a lower age group/division.
- Each player is required to wear proper footwear, shin-guards, socks covering the shin-guards, shorts, and a team jersey. In the event of cold or wet weather long sleeve shirt/jacket may be worn under the jersey and sweatpants will be allowed
- Goal keepers may wear gloves and pants.
- Players wearing casts or medically necessary devices must have permission from the referee to be allowed to play.
- No jewellery or headbands allowed, foam hairwrap may be used.
- Goalies must wear different color jerseys from the other players. A different color pinnie is sufficient.
- In the event that both teams are wearing like color jerseys, the away team will be required to change jerseys or wear pinnies as determined by the referee.
Rules of Play
- Minimum number of players for game to start U13, U15, and U18 - 7 players.
- A 10-minute grace period will be given for teams to have the minimum number of players to start the game. If after 10 minutes if one of the teams does not have the minimum number of players required to start the game, they will forfeit the game and the score will be entered 3-0
- There must be at least 2 female players on the field at all times, teams that do not have 2 female players on the field will play 1 player short
- At the beginning of the game each coach will be required to give a game sheet to the referee listing all players participating in the game with their correct jersey number. At the end of the game the referee will give a copy of the game sheet back to the coach for your records.
- Spectators are to be on the opposite side of the field from the players. No coaches are allowed on the field except for in the case of an injured player. The home team will select the side of the field that the teams will use. No spectators or coaches will be allowed behind the goal area at anytime during the game.
- Length of Games - U13 - 2 40-minute halves. U15 & U18 2 45-minute halves. There is a 5-minute half time between each half as determined by the referee.
- Coaches, managers, and team officials shall not criticize game officials at any time and should encourage the same attitude and good sportsmanship amongst all players and spectators. The game official shall endeavor to conduct the game in a proper manner at all times.
- Games during the regular season are played in round robin style, the games can end in a tie.
- After the regular season teams may advance to the playoffs based on their standings, all play-off games need to have a result.
- If a play-off game is tied after the regulation time is played, there will be sudden death overtime consisting of 2 10-minute halves (teams switching sides after first overtime period). If after the overtime the teams are still tied, then the game will go to penalty kicks to determine a winner.
- At the conclusion of each game both teams (along with team officials) are required to shake hands as a gesture of good sportsmanship. Both teams should also shake hands with the referees
- The referee has the authority to take disciplinary sanctions from the moment they enter the field of play until they leave the field of play after the final whistle.
- A player who commits a caution able or sending-off offence, either on or off the field of play, whether directed towards an opponent, a team-mate, the referee, an assistant referee, or any other person, is disciplined according to the nature of the offence committed.
- NO SLIDE TACKLING ALLOWED- for the first offense the player will be cautioned (yellow card), the second offense (2nd yellow card) the player will be ejected from the game and will not be able to participate further in the game. There will be no other game suspension for receiving 2 yellow cards and being sent off.
- Any team official being ejected from a game or any player receiving a red card during the game will be asked to leave the field and area immediately. They will not be allowed on or near the vicinity of the field for the remainder of the game. They will also serve a 1 game suspension for the next scheduled game, the player serving a game suspension will not be allowed to dress in their team jersey and will not be permitted on the team bench while serving the suspension.
- No appeals will be accepted for a red card, 1 game suspension of any player or team official. It is the coach’s responsibility to ensure that their players serve their discipline.
- Protests in reference to the “laws of the game” and protests of decisions by game officials will not be accepted.
- Playing an ineligible player will result in the forfeit of any game the ineligible player participated. Teams found to have played an ineligible player will forfeit the game and the opposing team will receive a win of 3-0 for the game as well as 3 points.